ZionFireFriends
how do you define the "new song"? - Printable Version

+- ZionFireFriends (https://zionfire.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ministry Round Table (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Music - Teams - Song Writing (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: how do you define the "new song"? (/showthread.php?tid=757)

how do you define the "new song"? - HelenaZF - 04-16-2007

Psalm 96:1 O sing to the Lord a new song!

Thought it might be interesting to discuss the "new song" talked about in the scriptures.

What is it? What is it's structure? It's inspiration? Can the new song be a corporate expression? Is it prophecy? Is it always spontaneous or can it be carefully crafted? What is "new" about it? The words? Musical style? Melodies?

How do you define the new song?

Here are a couple of thoughts and scriptures to get your thought processes going:
Quote:We are to sing a new song to the Lord. It is a song of the redeemed people of God. This new song is a different and distinctive song, a more glorious song, a purer, truer and more beautiful song than the world can ever sing. (Psalms 33:3; 96:1; 149:1; Rev. 5:9-10)

"In scripture, the word new is used more frequently in relation to song than to any other feature of salvation." (MacArthur) New is not used to mean new in time, but new in character or of a different nature compared to what was old. (Isaiah 42:10)

Ps33:3 Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

Ps96:1 Sing to the LORD a new song;

sing to the LORD, all the earth.

Ps149:1 Praise the LORD. [a]

Sing to the LORD a new song,

his praise in the assembly of the saints.

Rev5:9 And they sang a new song:

"You are worthy to take the scroll

and to open its seals,

because you were slain,

and with your blood you purchased men for God

from every tribe and language and people and nation.

Isaiah42:10 Sing to the LORD a new song,

his praise from the ends of the earth,

you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it,

you islands, and all who live in them.

how do you define the "new song"? - sonworshiper - 04-29-2007

Hey Helena!

Sorry for not being around lately! Life's gotten busy!

New song. . . .always an interesting topic! Wink

I guess from what I've learned from watching, listening, experiencing and asking tons of questions (as you well know), I would say, "new song" sprouts from spontaneous worship, and may or may not be prophetic. If I remember correctly, Marie Barnett's "Breathe" came out of spontaneous worship, and formed into a full and proper song. A new song.

There are times here at home when I'm working on worship for Sundays or just worshiping, that I'll get full chord progressions, great lyrics and tunes, just coming out of my own spontaneous worship.

Just my 2 cents worth for now. . . .how's everyone doing? I keep forgetting about the chat on Fridays!

Blessings!

Moe.

:crooner:

how do you define the "new song"? - DeanZF - 04-29-2007

Good to see your name up here again, Moe!

So once, Marie sang it one time, it's not a new song any more? <EMOJI seq="1f607">:innocent:</EMOJI>

If I've worshipped privately and the Lord provided a new song, is it still a new song if I sing it for the congregation? Once they sing it does it lose its newness??

When does the transition happen between a "new song" and the "songs, hymns, and spiritual songs" admonished by Paul?

So many questions, so little time! Big Grin

how do you define the "new song"? - HelenaZF - 04-29-2007

Always glad to hear from you, whenever you can drop by. Smile We should be able to move the chats back to the regular time shortly...maybe they'll be easier to remember then!

I remember prophecies that came forth in the 80's that talked about not only a new song, but a "new sound" that would come forth in worship...and I think maybe the two could be related somewhat. (Just thought I'd throw that out there... *lobs bomb...*)

I think the "new song" , at least in the context of the call from the psalmist, can be as simple as singing a song that is fresh, not the old standards. It might be an old song even....but new to the singers.

It might just be a prose love song one sings to the Lord as the worship in your heart overflows into melody. If the words are new, but the melody is familiar is that a "new song"? If so, we do that a lot in charismatic worship settings---just start singing your own words to whatever melody is coming forth.

When it becomes spontaneous new song though, that gets interesting, because as you say, Moe, it could either be prophetic or not. I"m inclined to think that anything new and fresh about a song could qualify it as the "new song". And that it has something to do with singing a song that takes complete engagement--that can't just be rattled off by rote.

Anyone, if your definition of the new song is narrower than that, I'd love to hear why. Smile