ZionFireFriends
Shislik - Printable Version

+- ZionFireFriends (https://zionfire.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Bazaar (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Cafe Nosh (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Shislik (/showthread.php?tid=499)

Shislik - happysandyh - 09-19-2006

I love Shislik. It is marinaded steak meat grilled on skewers !

1/2 cup Olive Oil

2 cloves Garlic, crushed

1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley

2 Tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice

1 Onion chopped fine

2 Teaspoons Salt

1/2 Teaspoon ground pepper

1/2 Teaspoon ground Thyme

2 pounds Steak ( I like to use Top Sirloin )

Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme in a large bowl.

Cube meat into 1 inch cubes, and add to the bowl. Stir to coat well. Cover and let stand in refridgerator for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). Drain the meat and arrange on metal skewers. Cook on grill.

Shislik - happysandyh - 09-27-2006

In just a few minutes I'm going to start mixing the marinade and getting my steak in it. We will grill the meat tomorrow on skewers ! Yummy. I am fixing an Israeli themed meal... I will also have rice pilaf, cucumber & tomato salad, humus & pita, grilled fresh vegies, tabouli, and for desert Cheesecake !!!

Shislik - HelenaZF - 09-27-2006

I'll be right over! :yum:

I remember the wonderful breakfasts in Israel that always had tomato-cucumber salad available. Something americans don't ever do...but I found it very delish and refreshing. (The fish---eh, I could never get into...)

I belong to another Christian forum (general ~ not arts specific ) and a few of us are having a retreat this weekend...

that's what all the food is for ! I hope everyone likes it !

Shislik - HelenaZF - 09-27-2006

Sounds like fun! (AND good eats!) I have a question.....if you don't skewer and grill the shislik....can you just pan grill them? Or would it be better to broil?

I'd love to make this, but I don't have a grill.

We've broiled the meat before and it came out great !

Shislik - happysandyh - 10-03-2006

The shislik turned out great as did everything else ! The meal was a big hit !

Shislik - SandyC - 09-02-2012

<QUOTE author="HelenaZF" time="1159379785">
HelenaZF,(time=1159379785) Wrote:Sounds like fun! (AND good eats!) I have a question.....if you don't skewer and grill the shislik....can you just pan grill them? Or would it be better to broil?

I'd love to make this, but I don't have a grill.
If you have something like a good cast iron pan that's been properly cured, I'd go with that.. failing that a non stick, or teflon coated pan.. that way you can cook without the need for cooking oil or the like, and you'll keep the flavour of the marinade.. just make sure you get the pan hot before putting the steak in, the heat will seal the steak and keep the moisture in..

I prefer cast iron pans when doing things like steak, the pans are good and heavy, and far less prone to buckling from the heat.. the only teflon, or non stick pans that won't buckle so readily are really expensive.. you could probably get a good cast iron pan and have $20.00 to $30.00 change here for the price of a top notch non stick pan.. if the cast iron pans cured properly and not washed in soapy water, it will be as non stick as a good non stick teflon pan..

Barbecue would be good of course...

Shislik - HelenaZF - 09-03-2012

Good advice from a professional chef. Where else can you get that, folks? *Shameless plug for ZionFireFriends here*

I used to use a cast iron skillet all the time. Still have it buried in the cabinets somewhere. I may have to pull it out again. I've come to detest teflon finishes because they eventually flake, no matter how much you pay for the pan. I'm trying one of the ceramic finish ones now. It's pretty good, actually, but not nearly as non-stick as proclaimed. It does clean up pretty well though.

Shislik - SandyC - 09-07-2012

Cast iron is the way to go IMO.. the important thing is to NOT clean it in soapy water after you've used it, just hot water.. the cast iron do need hot soapy water once in a while, but you'll have to re seal it again afterwards, my ones get re oiled and put in the oven at 150 celsius for an hour to re seal them, more time wasting than anything..

The really expensive teflons are okay if they have a bit of weight in them, but given the choice between an extremely expensive teflon and a good cast iron, I think I'd take the latter, just for the reason Helena mentioned, the teflon eventually breaks down.. it will take longer to break down in the really expensive stuff though..

Enamel, similar to teflon in some respects, it breaks down and the surfaces can crack or split a little.. I've had a few with hair line splits in the surface, everything stuck to it...